Postpartum Hair Loss

We make so many sacrifices for our children. So many! Postpartum hair loss may be the the most difficult one for me in the early stages of my babies' lives. I am going through it right now. Ladybug is just shy of 5 months old. I have been losing an extraordinary amount of hair for about 6 weeks now. I fear if it continues, I will be bald. I've been keeping pretty mum about my little problem until this morning. This is the converstation I had:

Me: "Look at this," while pulling back the front of my hair so hubs could clearly see the receding hair line.
Hub: With lips thoughtfully pursed, "Mmmmmmmmm." Pause. "Have you looked online about what to do?"
Me: "Now why didn't I think of that?"

Here's what babycenter.com has to say about the lovely little stage known as postpartum hair loss.
An average woman sheds about 100 hairs a day.

During pregnancy, increased levels of estrogen prolong the growing stage. There are fewer hairs in the resting stage and fewer falling out each day, so you have thicker, more luxuriant tresses.

After you give birth, your estrogen levels take a tumble and a lot more hair follicles enter the resting stage. Soon you'll have more hair coming out in the shower or on the brush. This unusual shedding will taper off and your hair will be back to its pre-pregnancy thickness about six to 12 months after you give birth.

Fantastic, babycenter.com! Now what? I have never been known for my thick locks or my really full hair. No, I have always had really fine hair. I don't have a lot to spare.

I'm fairly certain that if you stretched the hairs I've lost out end to end, they would reach the moon. Hell, I bet they would reach the moon, circle it a few times, then come back to earth. I'm not kidding people - this is how much hair I have lost.

5 People Raise Their Wine Glasses to Me:

Rebecca said...

You are not alone. I have lost an enormous amount of hair and still continue to do so. I am thankful that I have always had insanely thick hair so it isn't noticeable, but at this last doctor appointment I actually had my doctor look at my scalp because it was freaking me out! Now, my hormonal imablance could have a bit to do with this continued loss, but she said what I was dealing with was quite normal for all women. She also said that lack of sleep or increased stress would make it worse...hmm...I guess being a mom is our curse??? LOL!!!!

((HUGS)) between you and I the entire galaxy could be woven up in our hair!

Anonymous said...

Just wait till it starts to grow back. You'll have a bazillion short hairs interspersed with your regular-length ones. After Acadia was born, my hair fell out in bunches, then that summer at the beach I got to pull may hair back to reveal my mane-like fringe of 1 1/2 inch hairs all around my face. Made me look even weirder than usual.

My strategy was to distract people with my cute baby so that no one would notice me. For the most part, it works.

m. said...

In September my husband, two daughters and I will be attending a 10-week missions training course in Mexico. This is our first step toward the goal of working as full-time missionaries in Nicaragua!

We're very excited, but the cost is a bit daunting.

I contacted some talented friends and collected some amazing prizes for a fundraising raffle! This is good stuff ladies and gentlemen!!

You can visit the contest directly by clicking here:
http://megaknits.blogspot.com/2008/08/send-us-to-mexico-and-win-fabulous.html

And you can learn more about our adventures here:
http://hellopapaya.blogspot.com

Tell your friends! :)

Heather said...

I know it doesn't help right now...but it will grow back. After my surgery I lost a tremendous amount of hair. I would shampoo and handfulls of hair would be in my hands. It was so depressing. I know my situation was different, but some good vitamins might help!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I think this is one of the few things that did not happen to me after the birth of my kids!

I think you should tell Hubs he is stressing you out....and that is causing the fallout...might buy you a few nights off mommy duty!

Just a thought! :)

Maybe try a thickening shammpoo?

Copyright © 2008 - A Cali Girl Momma - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template