Let Her Cry

Friday was a big night for us. Little Man spent the night with Grammy and Grampa. Ladybug was scheduled to "cry it out." I did the Ferber method with Little Man, so I went in to reassure him after 10 minutes, then lengthened my time following each visit. It took a couple of weeks for him to get the hang of it.

I'm not sure if it is a second child thing, but with Ladybug I opted to let her cry without me going to her at all. It was a long night. She woke at 11:58pm and cried until 12:57am. She was finally so exhausted that she fell asleep. I felt terrible. I sat there listening to her in the monitor wanting to go in there and hold her and give her the bottle she so badly wanted. I knew that I needed to stick it out for my own sanity. She woke up a few more times throughout the night, but only cried for 5-10 minutes each time. I woke her at 5:15 and gave her a bottle.

Saturday night, she wet down at 8:00 and woke at 5:30am. I fed her a bottle and put her back down. She slept another 3 hours. Last night I put her down at 7:45 and she slept until 5:15am. The Hubs gave her a bottle and we kept her up because I was leaving for work at 6:45. It would seem that it worked. The misery that I put her through worked, but I am not counting on it until she sleeps like that for a couple of weeks.

It was such a tough thing to do and I don't judge anyone that doesn't believe in it. We all have different styles of pareting and things that work for us. This works for me, even though it is one of the hardest things to do.

3 People Raise Their Wine Glasses to Me:

Jessica said...

We had to ferberize Hoss. I hadn't planned on it, but I was also a working mother and I was miserable. He did wonderful though and it was a very quick process. I was thrilled. I hope this works for Ladybug for ya! Sounds like so far so good!

Rebecca said...

Sometimes crying it out is the only way.

Queen of the Mayhem said...

When Junior Mayhem was a baby, and crying almost non-stop due to colic, I had to let him cry it out a number of times for my own sanity.

When I was sobbing in the pediatrician's office about having to put him down and walk away, she patted my back and responded,"No baby has EVER cried themselves to death."

Somehow that made me feel better!

Hope she continues to sleep.

Copyright © 2008 - A Cali Girl Momma - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template